I finally finished the slides for one day Enterprise Flex Symposium on August 19, 2008 in New York City. The first session I will be presenting goes through the differences between BlazeDS and LCDS and explains how to get all the functionality offered by LCDS with BlazeDS combined with some open source solutions.
The idea of this presentation came to me during one of the Flex conferences about 6 months ago. The presenter asked the audience of about 100+ Flex developers if they used Data Management Services. Only handful of them did. Hefty price, learning curve and general attitude toward payware seem to be winning over advantages of excellent productivity and robustness of LCDS solution that is years ahead of commonly used techniques. Interesting enough, during subsequent conferences, similar question revealed that many more developers lean toward using BlazeDS.
So in that first session I will cover how to fill the BlazeDS gaps in the most important areas for enterprise developers:
– how to get virtually unlimited push scalability ( AMFStreamingEndpoints using new Servlet 3 NIO API )
– how to create Managed Data Collections and provide seamless integration of the data update / push through multiple clients
– enabling server-to-client RPC – “the server calls the client”
– How to add quality of service, reliability and application protocols to both LCDS and BlazeDS
– how to generate PDF on the client ( I may move this part to another session devoted to reporting and data entry solutions for application developers)
All my code examples work with Adobe’s sample applications, with minimal changes on the server side thus minimizing the need to re-train developers and providing an easy migration path.
I will post the slides after the event.
Hope to see you there,